Search our site for a specific topic or area of interest:

Didn't find something you want to know more about? Contact us at redwinehelpsyousleepontrains@yahoo.com and we will make sure your question gets answered to ensure you have the best backpacking experience possible.

Thursday 16 April 2009

Scott's Mini Backpacking Excursion to Trieste, Italy

Scott made it back from Trieste, Italy, without a scratch after jumping from a moving train, avoiding being eaten by wild boars, and escaping payment at an internet cafe!

I also realized during this trip how involuntary it is to add an 'o' or 'a' to the end of an English word and say it with the local accent in hopes that the locals will understand what you're saying. For example, 'One ticketo por favore.' This definitely doesn't work, by the way, so it's important to brush up on your common phrases before heading out!

Scott's return also means we'll soon have a few more videos to upload including ones about train cabs and reading a train schedule in the station. Scott has gathered all the photos to finish the book and we look forward to putting the final pieces together.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott, I fully agree with your book title. Discovered this many years ago when going up and down Vienna - Trieste - Vienna by train almost once a week for a year. Half bottle of red and some salami. And best dreams are guaranteed. Once, my father had to wake me up at Vienna Suedbahnhof train station...
    And concerning ticketo and per favore... I can teach you Italian, if you want. Cheers. Constantia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to learn another language in a bad way, it's on my long list of things to do. I know some Spanish from university, but I still struggle with it. I just need to live in a country that doesn't speak English and I should pick it up in no time - maybe Paris.

    ReplyDelete